Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Barcelona and Mallorca, Spain


Haven’t blogged in a while because I have been away since March 29th but for those who still read this I’ll do a quick update.

On March 29th classes were finished and on that day a few friends an di flew to Barcelona, Spain.  The day we went was a transportation strike so when we were taking a cab to our hostel there were cars on fire, windows smashed, piles of trash on fire, and spray paintings everywhere. So that was my first impression of Barce! When we asked the cab driver (who spoke little English) what was going on, he said “today……there was….WAR ON THE STREETS!” of course were all freaking out wondering how long there was going to be war on the streets! Turns out when we went outside the next morning everything was cleaned up and back to normal. Turns out it was a one day transportation strike that happens one day every year…

That day we did a lot of walking around and touring. My brother all warned us about the crime in Barcelona so we were all really cautious of our belongings. After about 8 hours of exploring and eating and drinking around the city we went back to the hostel. That night we went to this huge night club called Razz Matazz which was a huge maze of different rooms with different music and it was wild. When we were leaving we bumped into a bunch of Irish lads who was trying to get their one drunk friend home. Of course I had to help so I got in the drunk guys face explaining why he needed to get into the cab and well…he listened to me…bye lads. For now…

The next day we got breakfast in the market and then did a hop on hop off tour. We basically were able to see the whole entire city. One of the stops was the beach so we got off there and just soaked up the sun. It was almost 70 degrees and we were all so happy considering Ireland doesn’t always have the best weather. I think what I love the most about Barcelona is that you have the city life part and the beach life.

At night we walked around trying to figure out where to eat and saw a group of 20 guys in matching soccer jerseys so of course we had to go to the restaurant.  We quickly became friends with the waiter’s sonny and Ali who were very kind to us and brought us lots of drinks!  Mid dinner we get a note on out table from the table saying “can I buy you a drink?” All 20 guys from the table were dying laughing and the one guy got up and said to us “ayyy the lads made me do it!” turns out this group was a stag party from Ireland anddd they were the same guys from the night before. So we were all chatting and talking about Ireland. Somehow some way Ireland has followed us everywhere!

Ok this is getting too long…

Sunday we left for Mallorca, Spain which is an island off of Spain where we got a villa off of groupon. There were about 15 of us so we each only paid 50 euro for the week which was great. The place was beautiful. It had 8 rooms, 2 kitchens, outside grilling, private pool. It was simply amazing.

5 days later I had the longest travel day ever and I was alone. Let’s say I left the villa at 9 am and didn’t get to Dublin until midnight…don’t want to think about it.

The next morning my family came! (to be continued….)

I have 2 exams tomorrow which I just started to study for today so this break is over. Ill update more about my family coming later… 

1 comment:

  1. Yay so exciting! Last month in Ireland! Whats your youtube page!?

    ReplyDelete