On Friday about
7 of us flew out from Dublin airport around 1:30 but we had a delay so it was
later than that. The plane to Amsterdam
only took 1 hour and there was a 1 hour time difference so we got there around 4
or so. We stayed at Hostel Croydon which was pretty sketchy but cheap. the street it was on was lined with coffee shops and other really funky stores. The reception
area was in a crepe/waffle shop. The room was cold and really bare…kind of what
you picture a scary hostel to look like. We had an 8 person room but only had 7
people so every night we had a new guest.
When a man came in around 2 am I was freaking out and I thought he was
going to kill us but he didn’t…and I didn’t sleep all night. O well. The next night this Argentinian chick was too
high that she couldn’t climb to the top bunk so when we came home we found her
in a ball in our friends Jacks bed. Interesting.
Later on Friday
it was later so we walked around the Red Light district. The Red Light District was
a site to see. It was almost naked girls
standing behind glass trying to get guys to buy them. The girls were all rather
trashy but you couldn’t help but stare! It’s just such an interesting concept
but also really disgusting if you think about it. Cant believe that is how they
make a living. Whenever we would see a
guy go in we would stand there and watch the negotiation process. Kind of creepy
on our part but it was funny to watch.
On Saturday
we went to the Van Gogh Museum which was very cool but 2 of his most famous
paintings weren’t there….they were in New York City and Philadelphia. Sooo we
could have just stayed home to see these paintings but it was still cool to be
there and see it. Next stop was the Anne
Frank’s attic and museum. For some
reason I always thought of Anne frank’s attic to be so small but it was ten
times bigger than Steph and Dustin’s apartment in New York! Very surprising But
it was small enough that 8 people living in there for 2 years is ridiculous.. That
night I made everyone go to the Medieval Torture museum because I like that
kind of stuff.
Sunday morning
we got a good breakfast and then went to the Erotic museum in the red light
district! Enough said. After that we
walked onto the frozen canals and explored the city. Later on we went to the Heineken beer
tour. We were there for 2 hours too long
haha.
After coming
to this city it makes me mad that Amsterdam has such a bad stigma because of
the coffee shops and red light district.
But in reality the city is so beautiful with the old buildings and the
canals. Everyone needs to see it because
it has so much history! But I must say that
the coffee shops and the red light district is what really makes the city
unique.
Why am I not surprised that you saw Anne Franks ghost??
ReplyDeletebest thing to watch is guys coming out of the hookers rooms, biggest smiles you'll ever see
ReplyDeleteSo happy you made it to Amsterdam! It is such a gorgeous city and people often dismiss it because of the laws - which is ridiculous. So cool you got to see the canals frozen over - once in a lifetime experience!
ReplyDeleteHAHAHA Anne Frank's hide out is bigger than our apartment... sad but true. At least you didn't call her Helen Keller the whole time you were there (woops... rookie traveler/stoner mistake on my part!)
Glad you got to creep in the red light district too - when I was there I discovered I had just purchased the same bikini from H&M that one of the girls was wearing #shoppingfail haha
Love you sissy!
Love,
S